[grand-rapids-pm-list] June mtg

Ed Eddington Ed.Eddington at priorityhealth.com
Tue Jun 12 05:11:38 PDT 2007

GR-PM,

Well, it seems both speakers we were looking at getting will be at the YAPC conference in Houston the week of the June Perlmongers meeting. So, I have moved our events out another month. This means we again have a conference room reserved and nothing on the agenda! Does anyone have something they would like to present?

Speaking of YAPC, I included some info below in case anyone is on the fence about going. Also, I pasted in a blurb on how to use Mac::Growl to do pop-up alerts on the Mac (from the book “Perl Hacks”).

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

YAPC INFO

YAPC::NA 2007 is only 13 days away!  If you haven't already registered, it's not too late!  Visit the YAPC::NA website ( http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2007) to get registered.  Don't miss out on the largest Perl gathering of North America!  On campus housing wants final numbers on June 15.  Don't wait until the last minute!

ACT now!  For one easy payment of just $100 you'll get:

 *   Three days packed with 36 hours of talks
 *   Opportunities to meet various members of the Perl community
 *   Chance to attend a variety of Birds of a Feather sessions <http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2007/wiki>  (BOFs)
 *   Conference T-shirt
 *   Swag bag full of all sorts of goodies (including a particular Perl magazine <http://www.theperlreview.com/> )
 *
 *   A night of gaming fun and Glow Bowling at the UC Games Room (more information coming soon)
 *
 *   Dinner at the Tuesday night Banquet - Texas Barbecue themed
 *
 *   Face time with potential employers at the Job Fair
 *
 *   Updates on major Perl projects
 *   Keynotes by The Perl Foundation and Larry Wall himself
 *

Plus, for $200 more dollars, we'll throw in two extra days of Perl!  That's right, following the conference, Stonehenge is offering two 2-day training sessions at prices well under market value.  brian d foy will be offering two days of Intermeidate Perl with Randal Schwartz covering Perl Best Practices and Persistent Perl Data.  Visit the Master Class page on the YAPC to find out more - http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2007/master.html

Don't have $200, but still want more Perl?  Then stay for the Hackathon!  Two days of hacking fun and helping out on various projects.  There's a wiki page on the site for signing up - http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2007/wiki?node=Hackathon

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Mac::Growl

Schedule GUI alerts from the command line.

Growl (http://www.growl.info/) is a small utility for Mac OS X that allows any application to send notifications to the user. The notifications pop up as a small box in a corner of the screen, overlayed on the current active window (as shown in Figure 2-1).

You can send Growl notifications from Perl, thanks to Chris Nandor's Mac::Growl. The first thing you have to do is tell Growl that your script wants to send notifications. The following code registers a script named growlalert and tells Growl that it sends alert notifications:

use Mac::Growl;

Mac::Growl::RegisterNotifications(
    'growlalert', # application name
    [ 'alert' ],  # notifications this app sends
    [ 'alert' ],  # enable these notifications
);

Growl displays a notification to let you know the script has registered successfully (Figure 2-2). You need only register an application once on each machine that uses it.

When you want to send a notification, call PostNotification( ), passing the name of the script, the kind of notification to send, a title, and a description:

Mac::Growl::PostNotification(
    'growlalert', # application name
    'alert',      # type of notification
    "This is a title",
    "This is a description.",
);

This will pop up a notification window (Figure 2-3) and fade it out again after a few seconds.

And here’s a comic strip starring “Pearl” the Camel and friends:
http://www.oreillynet.com/wateringhole/blog/2007/05/the_savannas_of_sebastopol_1.html

Ed Eddington
email: ed.eddington at priorityhealth.com
Ph 616.566.2462