[grand-rapids-pm-list] Last meeting / next meetings

John Oleszkiewicz john at oleszkiewicz.net
Sun Jan 28 06:50:03 PST 2007

Hello all,

    I just wanted to e-mail and say that Chase and I enjoyed the GRPM
meeting and we're looking forward to coming back. I think that the
lightning talk format was effective. All of the topics were interesting
and some topics were immediately useful to us Smiths guys (e.g. the Perl
debugger talk). I think the wide range of talks ensured everyone would
get something useful out of the meeting.

    So - I would put in a vote for more lightning talks for future
meetings. I'd be particularly interested in talks about members'
favorite examples of perl "kung-fu". I write relatively unsophisticated
scripts - I sometimes think they look more like lazy C programs than
Perl. It would be neat to get an introduction to what people have done
in the past to solve a problem in a uniquely Perl way.

    If anyone is interested, I could give a talk about an offbeat use of
Perl. One of my hobbies is genealogy, and the interoperability standard
for genealogical databases is (essentially) a flat text file. I use Perl
to automate some of the manipulations of my home genealogical database.
The talk probably wouldn't be worth more than 10 minutes, since the
stuff I'm doing is pretty simple. But I figured this would be an unusual
topic and worth bringing up.

-John