[grand-rapids-pm-list] Setting up PERL modules on multiple computers

Al Tobey tobert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 19:30:57 PST 2006

On 2/23/06, David Hoppe <dave at hopasaurus.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a project I am working on that uses several PERL modules.  I am
> sure there is a way to setup all of the PERL modules I need on one
> computer then magicly poof them over to another computer so I do not
> have to set them all up again.  I don't know what this is called though,
> if I did I would probably be able to find out by searching for the name
> of the process.  Could someone tell the me if this exsist, what it is
> called and a quick summary about how it works.

I've had pretty good luck with rsync on Unix variants.  As long as
you're moving between the same OS/architectures, it should work fine.
 On Windows, you can look at cwrsync.  tar and zip would work as well
but be less efficient.

Create an rsync config something like this on the source host (usually
/etc/rsyncd.conf):
use chroot = no
max connections = 5
[perl]
  /opt/ActivePerl-5.8

Then:
user at unix-source1> rsync --daemon
user at unix-dest1> rsync -av unix-source1::perl /opt/ActivePerl-5.8

YMMV.   There are also a ton of tutorials out on the 'net that show
how to set all this up with ssh as the transport, if anonymous rsync
is unacceptable.   I often use rsync+ssh for one-off updates on Unix.

root at unix-dest1> rsync -ave username at unix-source1:/opt/ActivePerl-5.8 /opt

-Al Tobey