Networking question

bill_day at mcgraw-hill.com bill_day at mcgraw-hill.com
Thu Jan 31 09:54:30 CST 2002

This is not a Perl question, but I know there are opinionated net savvy people
on this list.

I'm taking CS 654 (Computer Networking) at GVSU this semester. The class
requires a survey paper. The potential topics that the professor has suggested
are really lame. I thought it might be fun to do something like "A comparison of
Linux vs. BSD IP implementations, a source code perspective". So I went and took
my first look at the Linux kernel source code (net directory). This looks like
it might be over my head (I'm more of a UNIX wannabe than a guru). On the other
hand this is the one time in my life when it may make sense to dive into this
code.

My questions for the list are:  Is this a reasonable topic? Is my scope too
large? Does anybody know of good resources other than just the source code? If
I'm out to lunch, does anybody have ideas for a cool topic for a paper for a
networking class?

Whatever I end up doing, I'd be willing to present at a future meeting.

Your input is appreciated.