Spell Check ...

matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com
Wed Jan 30 09:28:26 CST 2002

To: Bradon:
CC: GR.PM

For CS 658, I just put the Perl packages in the same
directory as the script, and that seemed to work.  I
suspect that if they are in the same directory as the
script _or_ in your PATH (or some "lib")
environmental variable, perl will find the package.

If you host on a UNIX box and want to use a
"built-in-UNIX-API" calls, then I suspect you (or I) can
write a small "C" function to get a string and return
"words not found", and call this from perl relatively
easily.

With competant system admins (ok, Al, I have to
admit, competant admins make a difference), I've
had no problem asking a question like "Hey, I
need TCL or G++ or whatever-else free module,
and I need it in my Path", so you could probably
just get that Perl/Unix-API module FTPed to the
server.

Hopefully, you've got competant admins, right?

Final thought:  So far, all these spell-checking
ideas require an explicit trip to the web-server.

You'll have click a "submit" or "spell check" button,
and the web page could return, just as before, with
a list of failed words at the top. (before your text
box.  Or you could try to replace words in the box,
but I don't like that idea.) If you want to avoid
the submit, it would be cool to write a Java App that
checks through a socket connection. (a "web service"
... wow ...)  We could hook it up through JavaScript
and not require a Web-Page "Refresh."  There might
even be a free or Cheap component out that does this.

But, thing is, we're a perl users group, and I don't do
Java.  But to a java person, I'll bet it's a neat idea ...

regards,

Matt H.