Java, Perl, etc.

Chuck Williams chuckwilliams1 at home.com
Thu Sep 27 05:04:08 CDT 2001

Matt,

Yeh this makes sense. I'll bring it up.  No ... not too controversial. I know
some big brains some where at our place have spent much more than 24 hours
wondering about the future languages we should use. I think it's possible we'll
have a mixed environment of Perl and Java for a long long time. Why? Because
there's an incredible amount of Perl running our sites. Too much for anyone to
re-write.

Also now our new bosses are asking for standards and documentation. With going on
six years of Perl scripts to work from (much by my boss) you can imagine there's
a lot of experimentation in there. I'm thinking this morning just suggesting that
everything recent my boss has written is the standard and be done with it. As you
can tell I'd rather program than explain things to other people. Yes yes yes our
stuff contains  documentation. In fact one of the links I passed around here (and
to him) was the Perl version history. It's like if we're going with Perl than I
can see it but if we're moving to Java than it's just busy work. Hmm.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion..

-- Chuck Williams