More theoretical Database Stuff

Tim.Maletic at priority-health.com Tim.Maletic at priority-health.com
Fri Oct 5 13:38:50 CDT 2001

I don't have much to add to Al and Steve's points, except this...

Your goal should be to reduce *application* downtime to the 0, not host
downtime.  Hosts *must* go down (for kernel-level security patches, if
nothing else).  So use a front-end load-balancer (or the poor-man's version:
round-robin DNS) to distribute your traffic across 2 or more systems, and
use linux-ha to fail an IP address from one machine to another in the
cluster.  Then you can bring down a host for maintenance, and the world will
never know.  (Well, ok, it takes about 5-10 seconds for the IP to fail
over.)

-Tim

PS.  I'm sure that Perl comes to the rescue at some point in this strategy,
I just can't remember where:)

to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this
email in error please notify the Priority Health Information
Services Department at (616) 942-0954.