Friday's Meetin' ...

matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com
Thu Mar 29 07:44:22 CST 2001

Earlier, Joel M. Wrote:
>2. a threaded server  -  ugh, I might have just managed to build a
>working threaded Perl on my newly rebuilt RedHat 7.0 system, but it'll
>take some experimentation  -  regardless, this isn't portable, so I
>guess a multiplexing, single-process server is preferable for now
>anyway.

  Perhaps we should have a meeting and talk about Threads?  The
Thread API was released in Perl 5.005, and it's supported on most
single-processor operating machines.  According to Lincoln Stein in
his book <U>Network Programming With Perl</U>, "No Precompiled
Perl Binaries come with threading support activated."

  Is this still correct for activestate Perl?  Perhaps we should do a future
meeting on threads?  (It sure beats fork()ing pipes!)

  BTW - Network Programming with Perl - EXCELENT BOOK!

regards,

Matt H.