Jan. 26th Meeting

matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com
Mon Jan 22 12:13:49 CST 2001

All -

  I thought I sent this earlier, but I can't find it in my out box ...

  The January 26th Meeting of the Grand Rapids Perl User's
Group is set to be 11:30 AM in the Compau Square Plaza
Building in downtown GR.  (Also Known as the Comerica
Building by some.  Also known as 'the building that has
Z's bar and grill in it', or 'the big red building, kitty-corner
to the BOB')

Food:
  Will be provided, if you're willing to pay for it.  Pete Litwinchuk
should be posting a menu shortly.  Execellent sandwiches and
lots of other stuff.  Reasonable prices.

Presentation:
  Will be on distributed shared memory in Perl.  Basically, I'm
going to describe an open-source framework I wrote to de-
mystify distributed computing.  By the end of my presentation,
you should be able to spout phrases like 'Employing massive
parellelism to solve distibuted applications' and sound
impressive at parties.

  Seriously, it's cool stuff.  If you don't enjoy it, you can always
heckle me.

Directions:
  The CSPB is located at 99 Monroe, about 1/2 way between
Fulton street and pe(a)rl street.  Basically, if you can get off 131
at the Pe(a)rl street exit, and take a right on monroe, it'll be the
first brick building on your right.  Immediately following the
building is a parking garage, but it's expensive. ($1.60/hour) -
you may wish to try to find a lot.

   Basically, find the building, get to the fourth floor, find the
receptionist's office, and say something like 'I'm a perl monkey.'
Someone will know what to do.

   If you need better directions (I don't blame you), you can get
directions fromanywhere, to anywhere on mapquest.com.  We're:

  99 Monroe Ave. NW
  Suite 400
  Grand Rapids, MI

  Or, you could email me and ask nice.   Really, it's the big red
building Kitty-Corner to the BOB, which is accross the street from
the Van Andel Arena, which is next to the Bistro, etc.

regards,

Matt H.