I think I finally have it figured out

Steve Lane sml at zfx.com
Tue Aug 7 08:37:51 CDT 2001

matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com wrote:
> >it looks like a self-imposed obsession to me.
> >just stop all this effort on "working on being
> >'buzzword compliant'", and you'll stop your
> >"merry-go-round".  it's really that simple.
>
> My friend, when my dotCom failed and I walked into
> the recruiters office, you should have seen the look on
> her face when she saw my resume.  Being BuzzWord
> Compliant certainly has it's advantages.

agreed; it's easier to get a quick job if
you have many buzzwords on your resume.
but your question was "Anyone else have an idea
on how to stop the buzzword merry-go-round?",
and i gave you a way to do that, at least
for yourself.

speculating: it sounds like you want the
benefits of buzzwords without the drawbacks.
correct?

> >ok.  Verizon Wireless is bottom-line useful.  i've gotten
> >paid a reasonable amount of money for developing a few
> >small apps for Verizons over the last few months.
>
> I was speaking about end users (Verizon Wireless for
> Residential - Try to write email or buy a book on one
> of those phones.  Good luck.)

yes, these tasks are difficult if not nonsensical
on a Verizon.  but there are many much less complicated
tasks that can be done easily for and with a Verizon,
and in my admittedly brief experience designing for
one, it seems that making apps for such tasks is
much easier and cheaper than any alternative might be.

i don't think of Verizons as less-powerful or more-awkward
laptops.  i think of them as more-powerful celphones,
or more-powerful walkie-talkies.

> Still, for business, I'll bite -
> how do your apps effect the bottom line of that company?

i don't know exactly; it's none of my business.  i
only know that the clients are very happy, and that
the applications' success is leading to more work.

> Perhaps I owe you an apology.  You're not supposed
> to take my rants seriously .. geez.  I guess I forgot a smiley
> face or something ... :-)

nah.  i always take ideas and statements seriously.  :)
analysis is how we learn, and we can't do good analysis
without taking things seriously.
--
Steve Lane <sml at zfx.com>