I take it all back ...

matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com
Wed Aug 1 08:25:00 CDT 2001

Hey guys, remember the brilliant white-paper I wrote on dotNet,
the one where I did a great deal of research to try to figure out
exactly what dotNet "really" is?

I think I was wrong.  It might be more acurate to call dotNet an
evolutionary change in Visual Studio that allows M$ to shift
it's revenue model toward subscriptions. (I do still think it's going
to involve XML/RPC, SOAP, and allow distributed component
development/deployment, which was the focus of my article; but ...)

I think this article puts a lot more weight behind one of my "CON"s:

'Microsoft's Marketing Spin is out of control. It took a lot of research to
boil down exactly what dotNet is. In fact, the author of this article has over
a dozen pages of text that use phrases like "enabling next-generation,
cross-platform compatible distributed web services across the enterprise."
Microsoft has a history of promising to "radically change the way you do
business" and delivering J++.'

 Check out Joel Spolsky's take on things ...

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/stories/storyReader$133

Matt H.