"Will Write distributed Applications in Perl for Free"

matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com
Fri Oct 13 09:05:38 CDT 2000

     ... Well, allmost.

    Next semester, I will be taking Distributed Computing at GVSU, which
is traditionally a project course.  As such, I am looking for a truely
distributed
application to write, support, document, extend, etc.  (A cgi script that
updates
a database probably won't cut it.  But I'm going to talk to the professor ...)

    My current ideas include a massively parrell program to calculate physics
problems
or to calculate fractal images.  I don't think writing  a distributed denial of
service
program would be a good idea, unless someone else wanted to write a anti-DDS
system and have the two fight it out ...

   Perferably, I'd like to use Sockets in multiple environments under multiple
systems, but pipes and shared memory are a possibility.

   Other ideas?  Does anybody have a MACH system or parellel virutual SUN
machine in west michigan I could experiment on?  Or a static IP address with no
proxy, willing to host a "client" (peer) application overnight a few times?

regards,

Matt H.