Perl Code Question

Joel Meulenberg joelmeulenberg at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 15:29:38 CST 2000

> After looking at the string a bit more I'm fairly certain its a hold
> out from perl 3 or perhaps earlier.

I wasn't using Perl back in the Perl 3 days, so I can't speak to that.
However, it looks like Wall and Schwartz have decided to keep that code
(that Ed had) as an example in the Camel book since the Perl 4 Camel.

See page 105 of the Perl 4 Camel or page 66 of the Perl 5 Camel.

(Note that the example in the Camel also includes a '^' at the
beginning of the regex to anchor it to the beginning of the line.
Otherwise, it's identical to Ed's example.)

+Joel