Encryption, UNIX, Private Keys & Government Resolution ...

Joel Meulenberg joelmeulenberg at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 21:15:56 CDT 1999

>  ... I was reading "Mastering Algorithms with Perl" the other
> day, and noticed all the restrictions on exporting encryption
> software.  It's really annoying.

Yup.

ITAR Section 120.17 (4) & 121.1 (8), 22 U.S.C. 2778 & 2779 classify any
machine-readable form of strong RSA encryption as a "munition" subject
to export restrictions.

By that definition, one of my black T-shirts with a barcoded (Code 128)
form of a 4-line Perl script that implements RSA encryption is,
technically, a munition!

So I've made sure to wear it whenever traveling outside the country.

Despite the fact that it openly advertises "/WARNING THIS T-SHIRT IS A
MUNITION/", so far no wild-eyed, foreign terrorists have torn it off my
back.
: )

+Joel
===