FW: New Oracle Books from O'Reilly

Joel Meulenberg joelmeulenberg at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 23:29:49 CST 1999

The Oracle PL/SQL book may not be directly related to Perl, but it's
relevant if you're using the Perl DBD::Oracle module for example.  From
my perspective, that book is a keeper if for no other reason than the
fact that Feuerstein wrote it.

Personally, I have no feelings either way on the Oracle SAP Admin book.
 If someone ever documented the design of SAP, I'd be interested in
that (I'm always interested in seeing designs, data models, etc.), but
administration - eh, whatever.  : )

IMHO Feuerstein does a stellar job on his books.  PL/SQL is a rather
impotent language (based on Ada) that has had its day as the procedural
workhorse in Oracle's products.  You really can't do anything very
creative with it (e.g.- just try building data structures (trees,
graphs, etc.)).  While it attempts to bring some of the benefits of
modern languages (e.g.- PL/SQL packages with their separation of
interface from implementation) it doesn't go nearly far enough.
However, if you need to use PL/SQL (because Oracle's done a good job of
locking you in to using it or whatever), Feuerstein's books are a must
read.

On the bright side, it sounds like this book covers the use of Java in
Oracle 8i.  Java - now there's a language that's more livable (despite
Sun's self-serving stewardship of it).

Alright, I'm done rambling.  : )

+joel