Recruiters

Joel Meulenberg joelmeulenberg at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 18:58:23 CDT 1999

> I vote that the list be configured so that only members can post to
> it (it *is* configured that way, right?)

(Note that silly hyphenations used in this sentence and
elsewhere are to keep Majordomo from thinking that this message is a
s-ubscription or u-nsubscription request.)

Nope.  Right now, anyone can s-ubscribe or u-nsubscribe on their own.
(Note that a confirmation reply email is required.  This is an attempt
to prevent person A from s-ubscribing or u-nsubscribing person B.)  And
believe anyone can post to the list even if they aren't on the list
(but I need to verify that).

For control, I think the choices are basically:

1.  Manual maintenance of a file of approved posters to moderated list
2.  Manually approve every post to moderated list (regardless of who
it's from)
3.  Restrict s-ubscription to moderated list (s-ubscriptions would have
to be approved by moderator) and automagically keep the approved
posters file in sync with the list of everyone on the list.

It would be nice if Majordomo had an option to only allow posts from
people on the list (that's the last part of choice #3), but I can't
seem to find it.  If anyone knows otherwise, I'd be interested in
hearing from you.

Note that all 3 options require a moderated list and various sorts of
manual intervention and/or maintenance.  I'd like to avoid doing any of
that unless spam becomes a problem or the signal-to-noise ratio gets
too low.

+JoEl