[grand-rapids-pm-announce] Intern Position

Steve Johnson stevej at missionindia.org
Mon Jan 16 07:02:26 PST 2006

There is an opening for a paid IT "intern" position at Mission India.  If
you, or someone you know, might be interested, have the interested person
send an email introduction along with an RTF or PDF (preferred) resume to
steve.johnson at missionindia dot org.  Phone calls and paper will not be
accepted.

Position: IT Intern

Opportunity: Learn about real world IT while getting paid!  Help meet the
day-to-day IT needs of a non-profit Christian international missions
organization.  Project work will be combined with various support activities
while personal and technical growth are encouraged.  This opportunity has a
lot of flexibility in terms of scheduling, the nature of the work, and
helping to meet the educational needs of the intern.  In fact, this position
does not have to tie to a formal intern program at school.  If things go
well, there is also an opportunity to extend the relationship past a formal
intern program.

Duties:
* Provide technical support for local and remote users
* Install software and hardware
* Write documentation
* Assist the IT Director
* Do project work as assigned, based on capabilities (may include Crystal
Reports, programming, configuration, project management)
* Be on time and present during scheduled hours
* Be on call, occasionally
* The ever dangerous "other duties as assigned"

Candidate Minimum Requirements:
* Available 10 to 20 hours per week
* Be on, or have completed, an IT education track
* Proven IT skills
* Outstanding grades in IT related classes
* Previous work experience
* Hardworking and self-motivated
* High School diploma or equivalent
* Willing to work for low wages in an uncomfortable office space with
inadequate hardware

About IT at MI:
* We do a lot with a little and Open Source is an important part of our
strategy
* Servers run Linux and Windows
* Workstations and laptops run XP
* PostgreSQL is the database of choice
* Software is developed primarily in VB6, Perl, .NET, and Crystal Reports
* We use MS Office 2003
* We support staff in Grand Rapids, throughout the US, in the UK, and in
India

About the Organization:
A mission agency that doesn't send missionaries?  Mission India does not
send Western missionaries. Instead, we train and equip local Indian
Christians. They know the languages, the customs, and the dangers in their
own areas.  Mission India focuses prayerfully on results that can be
measured. We strive for the highest standards of accountability.

Our three training programs have proved themselves over and over again:
Children's Bible Clubs, Adult Literacy classes, and Church Planter training.

Mission India partners with national Indian missions, mainline
denominations, churches and Christian outreach organizations. They represent
the finest, most respected mission-minded groups throughout India. We are
non-denominational.

Mission India is a member of the ECFA in good standing.

Learn more at: www.missionindia.org