[grand-rapids-pm-announce] Grand Rapids Perl Mongers 02/25/2005: BOT WARS

Al Tobey albert.tobey at priority-health.com
Fri Feb 18 08:03:18 PST 2005

Friday, February 25 at 11:30, we will be having a GR.pm meeting and be
working on real time battle bots written in perl.  Lunch will be
provided.  Did I mention the FREE PIZZA yet?

#!/usr/local/bin/pizza^H^H^H^Herl
$| = 1;
#use Free::Pizza; # not on CPAN ... only at GR.pm!
use strict;
use warnings;
use Acme::RTB;

my $bot =  Acme::RTB->new({ Name => '1337 0n3',
                           Colour => 'ff0000 ff0000',
                           Log => '/tmp/robot.log' });

$bot->Print( "See: http://realtimebattle.sourceforge.net/" );
$bot->Print( "See: http://search.cpan.org/~anarion/Acme-RTB-0.01/RTB/RTB.pm" );
$bot->Print( "Or I will p0wn j00!' );

$bot->Start(); # now go get another piece of pizza

__END__

The above bot should work -- it'll just hang out in one place and print
some helpful hints on how to put it out if it's misery at game start.
We'll also provide some hints at the beginning of the meeting.

Please do check out the websites http://realtimebattle.sourceforge.net/
and http://search.cpan.org/~anarion/Acme-RTB-0.01/RTB/RTB.pm to learn
more about Real Time Battle bots (especially in perl) before the next
meeting.

Matt and I are still working out how we're going to run the competition
this time, but we'll probably do something like four 15-minute
programming sessions followed by a best 3-5 battle.   Winner gets ...
you guessed it!  Books!

Remember, bring a friend, get a book!  Bring yourself, get pizza!

-Al Tobey
Vice President, Grand Rapids Perl Mongers
Senior Unix Administrator, Priority Health

** ** **  PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL  ** ** **
This email transmission contains privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and
may be a violation of law.  If you are not the intended recipient or a
person responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient,
please delete the email and immediately notify the sender via the email
return address or mailto:postmaster at priority-health.com.  Thank you.