This Month's Meeting, GR.pm Officer Succession, Etc.

bill_day at mcgraw-hill.com bill_day at mcgraw-hill.com
Mon Sep 24 08:13:41 CDT 2001

Joel Meulenberg <joelmeulenberg at yahoo.com> on 09/23/2001 11:38:30 PM

Please respond to joelmeulenberg at home.com

 To:      grand-rapids-pm-announce at happyfunball.pm.org

 cc:      (bcc: Bill Day/C-I-G)

 Subject: This Month's Meeting, GR.pm Officer Succession,
          Etc.

I haven't been doing a whole lot of work in Perl lately, so I'm not sure I have
a whole lot of  subject specific mental energy to contribute. But I thoroughly
enjoy hearing what others are up to in West Michigan.

I've been a lurker for the last couple of years. I think it's finally my turn to
contribute something (besides that I will need some important sounding things to
put on my resume soon).

I hereby officially submit my willingness to become a GR.pm officer (although
I'd rather be librarian than president).

There is no presentation planned for this Friday's meeting (unless
someone would like to volunteer for a last minute topic).  However, I'd
at least like to gather for a lunch meeting.

The topic I'd like to discuss, at lunch and via the mailing list if
you'd like, is difficult for me to broach.  (I'm feeling a little
verklempt.)  We need to talk about officer succession and the future of
GR.pm.  I realize this summer was more dismal than it should have been
for GR.pm meetings and I'd like to apologize for not doing more to try
to organize presentations for those meetings, etc.  With summer over,
typically more of us, myself included, will spend more of our leisure
time indoors hacking Perl, working on pet programming projects, etc.
So I'm unhappy to say that at this time when we need a GR.pm president
making meeting arrangements, preparing presentations, etc., I find
myself with diminished time and mental energy for such duties.  Both my
professional and personal involvements have been rather engaging lately
and I expect their intensity and complexity to increase in coming
months.

So I'm asking you to think about whether you'd be interested in a
position as a GR.pm officer - particularly that of president.

I suppose it's also a good time to think about what you'd like GR.pm to
be.  Like any voluntary organization, GR.pm has always been what the
participants make of it.  I've always thought that as long as it was
some mixture of good people, good idea sharing, good times, good food,
and good code, then it was a success.

Let me, Paul, and the rest of the group know what you think - even if
it's just your hankerin's for a lunch venue.
(Though BD's Mongolian BBQ has been declared the unofficial restaurant
of GR.pm (TMTOWTDI), personally, I've been Jonesin' for some curry.  :)
)

Oh, and wherever we meet, I'll make sure the lending library comes
along so we all have an opportunity to check-in/check-out books.

+Joel