[Firenze-pm] Fwd: O'Reilly UK User Group Programme - Newsletter Issue 11-07

Stefano Rodighiero stefano.rodighiero at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 08:48:49 PST 2007

Buona lettura

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Josette Garcia <Josette at oreilly.co.uk>
Date: Dec 13, 2007 5:09 PM
Subject: O'Reilly UK User Group Programme - Newsletter Issue 11-07
To: josetteorama at gmail.com

O'Reilly UK User Group Programme
 NEWSLETTER
 Issue 11-07

Within a week, this newsletter will be available to be downloaded in
PDF format from the Developers Group web site at
http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1107.pdf

You are welcome to create a link to it for your members' use. Previous
newsletters are available at –
http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1007.pdf
http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0907.pdf
http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0707.pdf

 HIGHLIGHTS

O'REILLYGMT
BOOK NEWS
 - Books for review
YOUR BOOK REVIEWS
CONFERENCE NEWS
UPCOMING EVENTS
NEWS FROM O'REILLY AND BEYOND

 O'REILLYGMT

O'ReillyGMT is a new blog from O'Reilly. We plan to bring you the
low-down on tech culture from Iceland, Russia, South Africa and every
place in between, from grass roots coding in solitary rooms, through
the hopes and dreams of start-ups, via the pioneering work done by
governments, charities and direct action groups, to the sizeable
contributions of the major corporations that grace this territory.

Our main line of reportage will be technology, but we're keen to dive
into ecology, business, media, the arts, academia whenever we learn
something we'd like to pass on.

But we want this to be a two-way conversation. Please let us know what
you're working on, comment on the stuff we write about, tell us what
we're doing right and what we're doing wrong. We built this site to
reflect what's going on: you know better than us, so please, join us!

Contact us – oreillygmt at oreilly.co.uk

 BOOK NEWS

Get 35% off from O'Reilly, Pragmatic Bookshelf, Rocky Nook or YoungJin
books you purchase directly from O'Reilly. Just use your user group
promo code when ordering online <http://www.oreilly.com/store/> using
the UK shopping cart. Forgot your code, ask your leader.

Did you know you can request a free book or PDF to review for your
group? Ask your group leader for more information.

For book review writing tips and suggestions, go to:
<http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html>

New Releases or coming out very soon--Books, Short Cuts, and Rough Cuts
Get 35% off from O'Reilly, Pragmatic Bookshelf, Rocky Nook or YoungJin
books you purchase directly from O'Reilly. Just use your user group
promo code when ordering online <http://www.oreilly.com/store/> using
the UK shopping cart. Forgot your code, ask your leader.

Did you know you can request a free book or PDF to review for your
group? Ask your group leader for more information.

For book review writing tips and suggestions, go to:
<http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html>

***Adobe InDesign CS3 One-on-One
ISBN 10: 0596529767
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529765/>

***Advanced Rails
ISBN 10: 0596510322
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510329/>

***Advanced Rails Recipes (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
ISBN 10: 0978739221
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0978739221/>

***Apache Cookbook, Second Edition
ISBN 10: 0596529945
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529949/>

***C# 3.0 Cookbook, Third Edition
ISBN 10: 059651610X
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596516109/>

***C# 3.0 Design Patterns
ISBN 10: 059652773X
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527730/>

***The Creative Digital Darkroom
ISBN 10: 0596100477
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596100476/>

***Digital Astrophotography (Rocky Nook)
ISBN 10: 1933952164
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933952161/>

***Groovy Recipes (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
ISBN 10: 0-978739299
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780978739294/>

***Head First JavaScript
ISBN 10: 0596527748
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527747/>

***Head First Software Development
ISBN 10: 0596527357
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527358/>

***iPhone UK: The Missing Manual
ISBN 10: 0955750601
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596517656/>

***Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual
ISBN 10: 059652952X
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529529/>

***MAKE: Technology on Your Time Volume 12
ISBN 10: 0596513887
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596513887/>

***Managing your Photographic Workflow with Photoshop Lightroom
ISBN: 1933952202
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933952208/index.html>

***Photoshop CS3 RAW
ISBN 10: 0596510527
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510527/>

***Programming C# 3.0, Fifth Edition
ISBN 10: 0596527438
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527433/>

***Prototype and script.aculo.us (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
ISBN 10: 1934356018
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356012/>

***Take Your Photography to the Next Level (Rocky Nook)
ISBN 10: 1933952210
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933952215/>

***Windows Vista Annoyances
ISBN 10: 0596527624
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527624/>

***Visualizing Data
ISBN 10: 0596514557
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596515935/index.html>

***X Power Tools
ISBN 10: 0596101953
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101954/>

***MAKE Magazine Subscriptions
The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you
subscribe with this link, you'll get a free issue--one plus four more
for $34.95. So subscribe for yourself or friends with this great offer
for UG Members: five volumes for the cost of four.

Subscribe at:
<http://www.makezine.com/go/ugsub>

***Craft Magazine Subscriptions
The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you
subscribe with this link, you'll get a free issue--one plus four more
for $34.95. So subscribe for yourself or friends with this great offer
for UG Members: five volumes for the cost of four.

Subscribe at:
<http://www.craftzine.com/go/craftug>

 YOUR BOOK REVIEWS

***MMUG, Dublin reviewed –
Dynamic Learning Flash CS3 Professional Review -
http://www.mmug-dublin.com/blog/?p=10
Also sent their review to amazon.co.uk (thank you)

***Edinburgh pm reviewed –
LDAP System Administration -
http://edinburgh.pm.org/book-reviews/ldap-system-administration.html

Upcoming Events

For more events, please see:
<http://events.oreilly.com/> or <http://www.oreillygmt.eu>

***Virtualisation solutions, Brussels, 22-23 January 2008
Virtualisation is said to potentially save millions to companies using
it, and it has become very important to use hardware to its full
extent. As hardware support has become ubiquitous, it is important to
leverage these possibilities. Several Free and Open Source solutions
do exist, and several proprietary products also support Free and Open
Source software and operating systems. This event will help
participants discover or study the available options, and so determine
which solution is best adapted to their environment.

CONFERENCE NEWS

***Registration for ETech is now open, San Diego, CA--March 3-6 Body
hacking. DIY spectrum. Crowd visualization. Sensor games. ETech 2008
will explore the tech that's influencing how we're seen as individuals
and what affects our perception of the world around us.

<http://conferences.oreilly.com/etech/>

Use code "et08usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:
<http://en.oreilly.com/et2008/public/content/register>

***Registration for TOC is now open, New York, NY--February 11-13
Technology is transforming publishing. Are you ready for the future?
This conference is a must attend event for anyone interested in
shaping the future of the business of books.
<http://www.toccon.com>

Use code "toc08usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:
<http://en.oreilly.com/toc2008/public/content/register>

***RailsConf 2008 Call For Participation Ends December 13
Happening May 29-June 1, 2008 in Portland, Oregon, RailsConf is *the*
official event for the growing Rails community. If you're passionate
about Rails and what it helps you achieve—-or are curious about how
Rails can help you create web frameworks better and faster—-RailsConf
is the place to be.

<http://conferences.oreilly.com/rails>

***The call for participation for Velocity, the Web Performance and
   Operations Conference, is now open.
Velocity, a new O'Reilly event happening June 23-24 in Burlingame, CA,
is dedicated to obtaining the crucial skills and knowledge to build
web sites that are fast, scalable, resilient, and highly available.
Are you a web developer, engineer, or technical manager doing
outstanding work to optimize the experience of your users? If so, we
want to hear from you. The submission deadline for all proposals is
midnight January 3,

2008.
<http://conferences.oreilly.com/velocity>

O'Reilly School of Technology
***O'Reilly School of Technology Courses: UG Members Receive
   a 30% Discount
O'Reilly School of Technology has opened its virtual doors with
educational offerings and certification for IT students looking to
further their careers or to launch one. As an O'Reilly User Group
member, you save on all the courses in the following University of
Illinois Certificate Series:

-Linux/Unix System Administration
-Web Programming
-Open Source Programming
-.NET Programming
-Client-Side Web Programming featuring AJAX

To redeem, use Promotion Code "ORALL1" good for a 30% discount, in
Step #2 of the enrollment process. Each course comes with a free
O'Reilly book and a 7-day money-back guarantee.

Register online:
<http://www.oreillyschool.com/?CMP=BAC-ostug>

NEWS FROM O'REILLY AND BEYOND

***O'Reilly Editor Andy Oram is running a survey about how people
search for information
The next time you have to search for information on any topic, try
recording your efforts in the form on this page. Easy searches usually
aren't interesting, so Andy is seeking submissions just about searches
that covered three or more documents (besides search engines).
Relevant searches can be done online, using print media, or both--and
even other media such as radio or film. The survey is designed to
uncover techniques that will help communities, authors, and publishers
find more effective ways to offer information.

<http://www.praxagora.com/search_survey/>

---------------------
Articles
---------------------

***Top Ten Tips for Linux Network Admins
Carla Schroder, author of the newly released Linux Networking Cookbook
offers her top ten tips for being a superior Linux network
administrator --great advice regardless of your level of experience.

<http://www.oreillynet.com/fyi/blog/2007/11/carla_schroders_top_ten_tips_f.html>

***Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual Sneak Preview
Five Tips and Tricks from David Pogue and an ultratip.
<http://missingmanuals.com/pogue/mac_os_x_leopard_tips.csp>

***Programming is Hard, Let's Go Scripting...
Larry Wall's annual State of the Onion describes the state of Perl,
the language and the community. In his 11th address, he discussed the
past, present, and future of scripting languages, including the
several dimensions of design decisions important to the development of
Perl 6.

<http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2007/12/06/soto-11.html>

***Building Mashup-Friendly Sites in Rails
Mashups have been the hot web technology lately. Rather than try to do
everything yourself, why not present the data that makes your site
special in an easy to consume fashion, and let users design
applications that mix your data in with others. Jack Herrington walks
us through an example showing how to create mashup-friendly using Ruby
on Rails.

<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/ruby/2007/12/04/building-mashups-in-rails.html>

***An Interview with Toby Segaran
Toby Segaran is the author of "Programming Collective Intelligence."
We recently spoke to him about his new book and why these kind of
machine learning techniques are so important in the Web 2.0 era.

<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2007/11/14/an-interview-with-toby-segaran.html>

***Introducing Raven: An Elegant Build for Java
Build processes in Java haven't evolved much since the introduction of
Ant or Maven. With the ability to use scripting languages like Groovy
and JRuby on the JVM, the power of a full language can be brought to
bear on the build process. This article discusses Raven, a build
system for Java that uses JRuby.

<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2007/12/05/introducing-raven-an-elegant-build-for-java.html>

***Advanced JavaScript III
JavaScript guru Howard Feldman completes his voyage through the world
of JavaScript hacking with this article. This time around, he tackles
dynamic tables, switching out form elements, and putting prompting
text in text boxes.

<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/11/20/advanced-javascript-iii.html>

***Sal Soghoian on Leopard, Automation, and Aperture
Apple's product manager of automation technologies is the same guy who
many of us consider the ultimate AppleScript guru: Sal Soghoian. Even
though Sal and I live only a few hours apart, I had to go all the way
to the Caribbean to chase him down for this podcast interview. It was
worth it. Sal talks about Leopard, automation improvements, and of
course, how this all affects Aperture.

<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/11/27/sal-soghoian.html>

For more articles, go to:
<http://www.oreillynet.com/>

---------------------
Blogs
-------------------
Shopping for the geek in your life? Here's help.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/fyi/blog/2007/12/shopping_for_the_geek_in_your_1.html>

Bad Math Among eBook Enthusiasts
<http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/12/bad_math_ebooks_kindle.html>

Hidden Influences on Software Design
<http://beautifulcode.oreillynet.com/2007/11/hidden_influences_on_software.php>

Groovy StAX builder
<http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2007/11/groovy_stax_builder.html>

ETech = Energy + Food Hacking + Arduino + Processing + Worldwide Tech
<http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/12/etech_energy_fo.html>

Open Source Hardware Gift Guide
<http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/12/open_source_hardware_gift.html>

Books for Makers - A gift guide of lost arts and new tech
<http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/12/books_for_makers_a_gift_g.html>

Some geeks just wanna live forever (well, say, 1,000 years or so)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/fyi/blog/2007/11/some_geeks_just_wanna_live_for.html>

Naked Light
<http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/12/naked_light.html>

For more blogs, go to: