[Edinburgh-pm] Local Perl job

Aaron Crane perl at aaroncrane.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 09:38:29 PST 2013

Jeff Parsons <bynari at gmail.com> wrote:
> What are some typical head developer Perl salaries in Scotland these days
> anyway? Anything close to £80k/year+ with company shares? Pretty much every
> job I see doesn't list the salary, which is pretty off-putting. It's such a
> waste of time to contact a company for a job only to find out they're
> offering £20k/year etc. I don't know where that practice of not disclosing
> salaries came from.

I'm no expert, but I think your expectation of £80k/year is a little
high.  The highest rate I've seen quoted for full-time, salaried Perl
positions in London is £70k + bonus.  To be honest, my guess is that
there are very few developer jobs advertised in Scotland for which the
successful candidate gets a salary in the £80k+ range.

I completely agree with you on job adverts that don't include an
indication of expected salary, though.  I can kind of see why some
companies do that, but it definitely makes life harder for applicants.

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/