[Edinburgh-pm] Code cleanup

Ian Stuart Ian.Stuart at ed.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 02:42:51 PST 2012

On 06/03/12 10:41, Miles Gould wrote:
> On 05/03/12 22:30, Aaron Crane wrote:
>> … that's a good point. Perhaps leave in the check that @ARGV is 1,
>> but still use<> for convenience.
>
> Good idea!
>
>> I'd recommend cpanminus rather than cpan, but yes, that's a pretty
>> simple option.
>
> At the risk of marking myself out as a clueless n00b, what's the actual
> advantage of cpanm over cpan?

(as another "n00b" on this...)
 From the package web-page:
"Another CPAN installer?

OK, the first motivation was this: the CPAN shell runs out of memory (or
swaps heavily and gets really slow) on Slicehost/linode's most
affordable plan with only 256MB RAM. Should I pay more to install perl
modules from CPAN? I don't think so.

But why a new client?

First of all, let me be clear that CPAN and CPANPLUS are great tools
I've used for literally years (you know how many modules I have on CPAN,
right?). I really respect their efforts of maintaining the most
important tools in the CPAN toolchain ecosystem.

However, for less experienced users (mostly from outside the Perl
community), or even really experienced Perl developers who know how to
shoot themselves in their feet, setting up the CPAN toolchain often
feels like yak shaving, especially when all they want to do is just
install some modules and start writing code."

I'm happy to use "perl -MCPAN -e shell" - but I guess not everyone wants
to :)

--

Ian Stuart.
Developer: Open Access Repository Junction and OpenDepot.org

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.