[Edinburgh-pm] Embarrassingly n00bish question

Miles Gould miles at assyrian.org.uk
Mon Jul 11 05:41:38 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Aaron Crane <perl at aaroncrane.co.uk> wrote:
> Except that, in practice, it's years since I actually needed to put
> anything in one of those.

I have a lot of "cd to $commonly_used_directory" aliases, but the
location of $commonly_used_directory can vary on a per-machine basis
depending on whether $HOME is local storage or a network share.

> I think that means that, if you want to install things from CPAN (or
> things that look like CPAN dists even if they aren't on CPAN), you'll
> want a personal Perl (possibly using perlbrew) and/or local::lib on
> the machines where you don't have root.  (Not that I've used either of
> them.)

I tried installing local::lib, but got errors: I could probably get it
to work if I turned off my PERL5LIB setting. But it's not clear to me
what local::lib offers over setting PERL5LIB and running cpan as an
ordinary user, which is how I currently install CPAN modules.

Miles