[Edinburgh-pm] Embarrassingly n00bish question

Miles Gould miles at assyrian.org.uk
Mon Jul 11 03:57:27 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Aaron Crane <perl at aaroncrane.co.uk> wrote:
> Miles Gould <miles at assyrian.org.uk> wrote:
>> This situation is no doubt terrible in even more ways than I've worked
>> out for myself. Surely there must be a Better Way. So, how do you all
>> handle this situation?
>
> I do the following:
>
> 1. My ~/usr is under revision control.[1]

Aha! I'd thought you kept ~ under revision control, which I'm
reluctant to do. Having a private ~/usr makes a lot more sense to me.
How do you handle machine-specific configuration? Do you source
`hostname`.bashrc from your main .bashrc or something?

>> What awesome tools should I be using to manage
>> my dists? What should I read to better understand how Perl dists are
>> meant to work?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're asking there.  I take it you don't mean
> things like Dist::Zilla?

I'm not sure - my map of the toolscape is largely blank. Am I right in
thinking that Dist::Zilla solves the problem "I have a git repo, and I
want to turn it into a tarball with embedded Makefile.PL that can be
uploaded to CPAN and/or installed"? I did look into it for the Oyster
hackathon, but the volume of documentation overflowed my input
buffers.

[FWIW: I don't have root access to the machine concerned - at least, I
don't have root access to all the machines concerned.]

Miles