[Edinburgh-pm] Happy Birthday Television

Miles Gould miles at assyrian.org.uk
Fri Jan 21 08:15:16 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:20:39AM +0000, Murray wrote:
> My sources [1] tell me that on 27th Jan 1926, "John Baird, a Scottish
> inventor, demonstrated a pictorial transmission machine called
> television".

It'll never catch on - the word is half Greek and half Latin.

> This would seem like an auspicious reason, where one needed, to celebrate and
> consume beverage.  As it happens, 27th Jan (next thursday) is also the 4th
> thursday of the month, meaning edinburgh.pm.

Alas, I can't make it to either - I'll be at a party in Glasgow tonight,
and recovering from a day's winter climbing in Aviemore next Thursday.
Have a good time without me, though :-)

However, I'm through in Edinburgh the following Saturday morning for
Green Party stuff*, and it would be great to see folk thereafter...

Miles

* The Scottish Green Party, being into participatory democracy, has a
randomly-chosen party member on every party committee. Hence, despite
having been a member for less than a year and having attended about
three branch meetings, I've been appointed to the party's senior
governing body... I think my role will be to keep quiet and nursemaid
the videoconferencing setup.

--
Alias: Just realised I have called everyone who owns a shiny modern SLR
a gorilla.