[Edinburgh-pm] Edinburgh Ahoy!

Murray perl at minty.org
Mon Apr 18 00:33:35 PDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 11:26:57AM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:
> I'll be around from Friday 27th May to Thursday 2nd June. So
> something around Tues/Wed (31st/1st) would be good. How does that
> sound?

Tue/Wed suit me best too fwiw

> Also, I'd like to abuse your local knowledge. Since I first read
> about it in the early 80s[1] I've fancied a visit to Rosslyn Chapel
> and on my many trips to Edinburgh I've never got round to it. I know
> there are many tourist trips from Edinburgh, but we're a little wary
> of those and would rather get there on public transport if that's at
> all possible. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Like Aaron said, 15 is your best bet, but not 15A.

If you don't mind a short walk (~1mile), there is also the 37/47 routes

http://www.lothianbuses.com/service-number/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=621

http://www.lothianbuses.com/images/stories/pdf_downloads/service_timetables/r37.pdf

The day ticket (£3.20) is worth it if you're taking 3+ buses.  You don't get
free transfers on Lothian buses.

Based on my rough calculations, assuming Tariff 2, a taxi from the Cumberland
bar to Roslin would cost ~£15-20.  Afaik, marketing aside, the black cabs are
no more expensive than the private hire ones.