[Edinburgh-pm] Python user group

Miles Gould miles at assyrian.org.uk
Tue Feb 16 09:00:00 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:27:35PM +0000, Aaron Crane wrote:
> http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml
> http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html

OK, I take the point about Reply-To munging and RFC 2822. I see that we
are setting List-Post as recommended in your third link, which suggests
that my mailing client is misconfigured. Of course, I only noticed this
/after/ I'd written an angry rant about how we didn't set this header,
and then noticed that I was replying to the copy of the message that had
gone directly to me rather than to the list. I don't know if that
confirms my point or not...

> (My own preference is for the list's current configuration: the
> consequences if you think you're speaking in private but are actually
> speaking in public have the potential to be much much worse than the
> other way round.  But I won't whinge if the consensus is in favour of
> reply-to munging, and I'm not going to say anything else about this
> issue here.)

Again, I take your point; but I think the best solution is for nobody to
bitch about list members behind their backs ;)

[I'd just like to say that yet a-fucking-gain, in the course of replying
to your post, I hit r, saw "To: Aaron Crane", then had to go back, do
reply-to-all, and edit the headers manually. Grrarghghrhg.]

Miles

--
When someone builds a machine that can really enjoy tripping, AI will
truly be solved. I guess we could call that the Turing Acid Test.