[Edinburgh-pm] Fwd: Don Knuth BCS/IET Annual Turing Lecture 2011

Aaron Crane perl at aaroncrane.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 09:26:36 PST 2010

Robert Rothenberg <robrwo at gmail.com> forwarded:
>> Don Knuth will give a talk in Glasgow on
>> February 10th as part of the BCS Turing lecture series for 2011. His
>> talk in London is already fully booked.
>>
>> You can book a ticket at the link below.
>> http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=nav.14335

Thanks, Rob — that sounds great.

For the benefit of any other BCS non-members trying to register for a
free ticket: their website does not work.  They want you to register
for a website account, and the details they ask for include your
postal address (for no good reason that I can see).  Rather than let
you type your address directly, they force you through a
postcode-based address finder — but it generates (well-formed)
addresses which their own client-side validation system rejects as
invalid.  FAIL.

Anyway, I suggest turning off Javascript while you're actually
registering.  Once you've got the "you're now registered" email, you
can turn it back on again, log in, and go through the ridiculously
complex ticket-booking process.

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/