[Edinburgh-pm] Meeting dates (was Re: 2nd Wed)

Nick Woolley nickwoolley at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 12:03:34 PST 2009

Miles Gould wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 04:25:49PM +0000, Nick Woolley wrote:
>>      2nd Tuesday:   http://dorbot.org/dorkbotalba
>>      4th Tuesday:   http://dorbot.org/dorkbotalba
>
> Are they still going? I went to a couple of meetings and signed up to
> the mailing list, but the emails dried up after a year or so, and I
> assumed they'd folded.

Which email list?  This one?

   dorkbotalba-announce at dorkbot.org

If you're just a member of the announcements list, ignore that - the
announcements list isn't really used any more. Join the blabber list:

Dorkbot Alba's still around, just underground. "Dorkbot Alba" is also
mostly just an Edinburgh group now. It was originally intended to
include Glasgow, but the original Dorkbot organiser Chris fell out with
the Weegie contingent.  They forked and started the Electron Club [1],
and then a couple of years ago he resigned in a huff over something,
never to be seen again.

Sadly the supply of speakers dried up when Chris left. Also, generally
no-one can be bothered to hunt down and herd of potential speakers
together, nor do we have any money for travel expenses or pizza to tempt
them with.  Other people do that better than we do, the Tech Meetup for
example.

So, since then, Dorkbot Alba has reverted to more of an anarchic
collective / workshop / show & tell, upstairs at The Forest Cafe.  The
aim is just to try and get people with various sorts of know-how
together and hatch plans to do things which wouldn't have happened
otherwise. The crazier the better.  A recent (and ongoing) project
involves retrofitting a 19th century church organ, that lives upstairs
at the Forest, with a midi-controlled player:

  http://dorkbot.noodlefactory.co.uk/wiki/WaldFlöte

Hopefully there'll be more where that came from.  Maybe we'll even get
our act together and organise another event one day.

> Anyway, you mis-typed the URL, which should
> have been http://dorkbot.org/dorkbotalba .

Oops.  You're right.

Cheers,

1. http://www.electronclub.org/ (seems to be down at the mo)