[Edinburgh-pm] [Fwd: "edinburgh programming fringe" today]

Robert Rothenberg robrwo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 04:41:58 PDT 2009

Not sure I can make it, though.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:54:12 +0100
From: Brian Campbell <Brian.Campbell at ed.ac.uk>
Subject: [pl-read] "edinburgh programming fringe" today

This pub meetup that's spun out of tech meetup might be of interest to some
folk:
(It's today, Wednesday 15th - apologies for the short notice)

From: Thomas Figg <thomas.f... at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:16:38 +0100
Subject: edinburgh programming fringe - next wednesday

Tired of mainstream programming? Does the prospect of banging out yet another
database front-end with rounded corners not hold the interest it once did?

Have you had enough of Java, C++, Python, Perl, C#, or Ruby?

Do you yearn for higher order programming? Metaprogramming? Toy  Languages?  Or
perhaps you are curious about more abstract and advanced  programming
techniques?  Are Looking to write the next 'map reduce'? Do you want to know
how  compilers work?

Or maybe, Is the tech meetup just not techie enough for you?

Come to the pub!

The first attempt at an informal gathering will take place:

Next Wednesday on the 15th of April, (the week after the tech meetup)
At 7pm in the Pear Tree*

I should be easy enough to find (I have a large bright yellow high- viz openbsd
jacket) and my phone number is 07788147200 if you're having a problem finding
us

So far we've got some interest from Haskell, Smalltalk, Prolog,  Erlang and
Scala users, and a few who are writing their own toy languages, but this is no
means a complete list.

If you are curious, there is a mailing list:
         http://groups.google.com/group/codebloc/
--

tef

* It is likely places like dagda or the hoose will be crowded, so for
now the pear tree is a good place to start