[Edinburgh-pm] Edinburgh Hackathon?

Wim Vanderbauwhede wim.vanderbauwhede at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 08:26:47 PDT 2008

I participated in a Parrot hackathon at YAPC::EU last year. It's actually
very informal: you identify some bug or issue with Parrot you want to
address and start hacking. It of course helps a lot if a Parrot guru like
Jonathan or Alison is present :-)
However, there are lots of little jobs that need to be done that don't
require in-depth knowledge of Parrot, like fixing the build system, writing
unit tests etc. For example, I did some work on taking code out of C header
files and putting it in proper source files.
Have a look at http://www.parrotcode.org/todo.html.<http://www.parrotcode.org/todo.html>

I'll freely admit that personally, I would like to hack on the Parrot
backend for Pugs, though that may not be very popular :-)

Cheers,

Wim

On 21/04/2008, Chris Yocum <cyocum at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>      Well, there is a wikipedia page about hackathons
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackathon) but this is going to be a bit
> of an experiment and probably no longer than a day.  I would hope that
> we would have something to check-in but even if it is just to learn
> something about parrot in a collaborative environment and re-convene
> another time to do serious hacking, I would call that a success.
>

> Chris
>

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Nick <nickwoolley at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Assuming it doesn't clash with a previous engagement, I'd come along
> and
> >  participate, even if it were just to find out what a Hackathon is or
> >  learn something about Parrot.
> >
> >  About both of which I know almost nothing, by the way.  Is any
> knowledge
> >  or preparation required on behalf of the participants?  Is the aim to
> >  create something useful that can be sanely checked back into the Parrot
> >  repository, or just to learn about Parrot?

If it's pointless, what's the point?
If there is a point to it, what's the point?
(Tibor Fischer, "The Thought Gang")