[Edinburgh-pm] IDE with project-wide scope

Ian Stuart Ian.Stuart at ed.ac.uk
Mon Dec 17 04:01:48 PST 2007

Up until now, I've been developing my projects directly on the main
servers that will eventually host them (well, actually, the development
servers, but they run the same OS configurations), editing files and
keeping a track of the objects and dependencies in my head (and PODed,
of course).

Things are getting to the stage where the applications are just too big
and too complex to do this rationally (not for a proper service
environment).

What I would really like is some form of editor that will keep track of
an entire Application, allow me to see the methods available in each of
the packages, see how the packages and scripts inter-relate (I've a
couple of hundred, all in :-( ), and also allow me to edit any of these
files as I need.

Having code-folding, syntax highlighting, and other editor-candy would
also be good.

Anyone got any sugegstions?

I've tried Eclipse (I used sshfs to "mount" the application into my
local space), but I can't get to grips with it... I may need to
persevere here :-)
--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,