[Dub-pm] 'Shortening' code.

Dave O Connor doc at redbrick.dcu.ie
Sat Apr 24 01:35:36 CDT 2004

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/03/12/ioall.html

This is just a personal rant from me, but does anyone else feel that
'shortening' code, linewise, at the expense of execution time is something of
a fallacy? The above mentioned module seems to do just that, and it makes my
nerd blood boil.

Anyone have any other particularly nasty examples of this? I know I've seen
some terrible examples of readability in my time (most of them under NDA, so
not reproducable here :)). I would consider myself a great opponent of the
'one-liner', that ends up looking like line noise, in favour of readability
and the ability for your successor to take it up, read it, and understand it.

	- DoC