[DFW.pm] Organizational Announcement - Leadership Transition/Closure

William N. Braswell, Jr. william.braswell at autoparallel.com
Fri Jan 20 22:08:06 PST 2017

Tommy & DFW Mongers
It was a great pleasure to come and present RPerl at DFW.pm a few
months back, y'all have done a great job promoting Perl in your area
of Texas.

Like you, I "rebooted" Austin Perl Mongers in 2012, and through it all
we have found that slow-and-steady is how we win the race.

I sincerely hope somebody else takes this opportunity to step up and
keep the DFW Perl Mongers alive, on behalf of the Perl community I
thank you in advance!
Everybody: don't hesitate to contact me if you want to discuss any
ideas about running a Perl Mongers group.
Again, awesome job to Tommy & John, the Perl community greatly
appreciates your time and talents!
Perling,~ Will 'the Chill' Braswell
Austin.pm President

On 1/20/2017 at 11:23 PM, "DFW Perl Mongers"  wrote:Hello my friends,
I've spent about two months in denial, staring down the facts of a
difficult situation.  Time, precious time, has become less and less of
an available commodity as the years have progressed since we rebooted
the DFW Perl Mongers group on 12/12/2012.
Four years ago when John Fields and I agreed to head up the group and
give it new life after a sustained period of inactivity, we were both
under far fewer personal and professional obligations than we are now.
 Since that first meeting, we've enjoyed coordinating some really fun
events, meetings, labs, technical demonstrations, contests, and
presentations involving both members of our group and other groups all
around the world.  It's been really rewarding to me personally.
This is because, for us, it's always been a labor of love, a concerted
effort to give back to Perl in a way that was impactful and meaningful
because Perl had given us so much--even our own treasured friendship
that endures to this day.  John and I met at a DFW Perl Mongers
meeting back when I was still in college some 10+ years ago.
But returning to the matter at hand, John and I observe that as our
professional careers and families continue to grow, there's far less
opportunity for us to contribute now than we once had; our capacity
for it is just vastly diminished, and it's not necessarily a
lamentable thing.  My kids are growing up, getting involved and
engaging with the world in new and exciting ways that I never imagined
before.
It's a delight to watch their minds blossom and to be part of that
journey with them, guiding them and helping them with their education
and other activities that have rightfully taken the place of my former
late-night/all-night Perl hacking.  Now I spend a lot more time at
concerts, school gatherings, and the events taking place in their
lives than I do in my 'fortress of solitude', tapping away at the
keyboard, churning out all kids of exciting code.
I won't speak for John other than to say that his family has also
grown, and it's been a beautiful thing to see.
So now, after four years of pretty consistent activity and fun, it's
time to pass the torch or set things down for a while until such a
torch bearer comes along.  I'm formally stepping down as co-president
with John Fields, and ceasing further formal monthly meetings at the
Makerspace.  Should anyone feel compelled to step in as our new
leader, please contact us at dfw.perlmongers at gmail.com or reach out to
Jay Hannah who runs www.pm.org.
It's been a wonderful journey and I sincerely hope that our efforts on
behalf of the group have touched the lives of our members in even the
smallest positive way.
Perly Regards,Tommy Butler