[DFW.pm] Meeting reminder: Special Guest Presenter - Monday April 11th

DFW Perl Mongers dfw.perlmongers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 08:32:48 PDT 2016

Hi Perl group!

*This Monday, April 11th we'll be hosting a great guest presenter*.  We
hope you'll make time to come take advantage of the opportunity to come
hear William Braswell talk about and demo RPerl.  We'd like to have a good
number in attendance so please come out and show your support for Perl.

------------------------------

RPerl, Perl 11, and The Future of Perl Performance

—with Will "the Chill" Braswell

DESCRIPTION
RPerl is the new optimizing compiler for Perl 5.
Perl 11 is the philosophy of pluggability and the reunification of Perl 5
with Perl 6.
We can currently use RPerl to speed up low-magic Perl 5 code with over 300x
performance gain.
This talk will discuss the future plans for supporting medium-magic and
high-magic Perl 5 code, as well as Perl 6, and beyond.

ABSTRACT
Perl is a programming language.  Perl is fast at string manipulation and
regular expressions.  Unfortunately, Perl is really, really slow at most
everything else.

On New Year's Day 2013, the RPerl optimizing compiler project officially
began.  On US Independence Day 2015, RPerl v1.0 was released, at long
last.  Major RPerl releases happen on each major holiday.

Using RPerl, low-magic Perl 5 software may be compiled to run 200x, 300x,
maybe even 400x as fast as normal high-magic Perl.  RPerl moves Perl from
being (arguably) the slowest general-purpose language to being among
Fortran, C, and C++ as one of the very fastest.

RPerl works by implementing a restricted low-magic (low-complexity) subset
of the Perl 5 language, which is then converted into C++ and compiled into
ultra-fast binary form.  The resulting compiled low-magic RPerl code can be
called seamlessly from existing high-magic pure Perl code.  RPerl is
primarily meant to be used for performance optimization, although as a true
source-to-binary compiler it can also be used for strong source code
obfuscation and IP protection.

The Perl 11 philosophy includes the goals of pluggability at all levels of
Perl, as well as the reunification of Perl 5 and Perl 6.  Perl 11 was
formulated in summer of 2012 by Ingy döt Net, Reini Urban, and Will
Braswell.  RPerl is an implementation of Perl 11.

RPerl currently supports low-magic Perl 5 only.  Future RPerl development
plans include support for medium-magic Perl 5, then high-magic Perl 5, then
Perl 6.  It's taken us nearly 30 years of Perl to get here, and we built
the Internet along the way.  Let's make the next 30 even more unbelievably
amazing.

PRESENTER BIO
Creator of RPerl.  Scouter, Juggler, Mormon, Perl Monger, Serial
Entrepreneur, Volunteer, Aspiring Astrophysicist, Community Organizer,
Family Man.

I love to program using Perl, Linux, and very fast computers.
I love the outdoors and the many adventures I experience with the Boy
Scouts of America.
I love to walk on stilts, juggle canes, clown, and entertain people with
Circus Texas.
I love helping people and participating in church activities.
I love the Perl Mongers and especially our local Austin.pm chapter.
I love building companies and bringing together a team to make our plans a
reality.
I love giving my time and talents toward charitable and fraternal
organizations.
I love space exploration and I am training for a space career at Baylor
University.
I love helping groups organize to achieve cooperative, community-driven
goals.
I love my family.

------------------------------

As always, we invite you to bring along a junior coder and a laptop.
See you there!

TIME AND PLACE
Time: 7 pm to 9 pm
Location: Dallas Makerspace
1825 Monetary Ln, Suite 104, Carrollton, TX 75006
Phone: (214) 699-6537

ONLINE PARTICIPATION
If you plan to attend online, please install the hangouts app/plugin from
google.com/hangouts — This will allow you to view the live video stream,
but if you'd like to participate interactively, please send your google ID
to dfw.perlmongers at gmail.com **before the meeting** and we'll add you to
the online classroom.