[DFW.pm] Meeting (Mon Nov 8th) - 2ND INTERNATIONAL HACKATHON KICKOFF

DFW Perl Mongers dfw.perlmongers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:54:57 PST 2015

MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT
This Monday the 8th the DFW Perl Mongers will meet in the same Perl time,
same Perl location.   We're going to talk about the hackathon competition
(surprise!) that we'll be kicking off, what it is about, and how we're
going to do it.

TOPIC
DFW.pm is going to host an international hackathon to benefit the OPPC
project <http://www.oppcproject.org/>.  It will be similar in many aspects
to the hackathon we hosted in the winter of 2013.  Participation will
be free of charge to all participants, and the competition proper will be
carried out this spring.

We will host participants' code in freely-provided virtual private servers
(you'll get elevated-privilege access and fair system setup assistance for
your VPS), and due to the generous lead time you'll have plenty of time to
develop and tune your code entry, even if you get started late!  Things are
officially underway, the rules have been drafted, sponsorship requests are
being sent out, and we're building a massive server to run things.

Do you want to know more?  Do you want to help out, be a sponsor, or a
contest judge?  Do you want to see what we're building?  Come on out to the
meeting!  Bring friends!  *Bring a junior coder!  * We're going to talk
about all of it, and even show you the new server hardware.

ONLINE PARTICIPATION
The usual online hangout procedures will be followed, invites and link sent
here to the mailing list and on our G+ page / webpage (dfw.pm.org).  If you
plan to attend online, install the hangouts app on your mobile device or if
you're using a pc/mac then install the plugin from google.com/hangouts --
The default participation mode is to view the live video stream, but if
you'd like to participate in the actual hangout, please send your google ID
in advance to dfw.perlmongers at gmail.com

TIME AND LOCATION
Time: 7 pm to 9 pm
Phone: (214) 699-6537
Location: Dallas Makerspace
1825 Monetary Ln, Suite 104, Carrollton, TX 75006
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/1825+Monetary+Ln+%23104,+Carrollton,+TX+75006>

--
Tommy Butler, John Fields