[DFW.pm] But what about Perl 6?

Bruce Gray bruce.gray at acm.org
Mon Jan 6 14:22:17 PST 2014

Tommy,

It is not working correctly.
Parrot has been installed into /usr/local/rakudo/ , but no pieces of Rakudo itself are there.

I would expect to see this (Parrot w/o Rakudo) if the steps I gave you were run though the `perl Configure.pl …` step, and then stopped.
When building Rakudo, the Configure step actually builds and installs Parrot in preparation for building Rakudo.
Also, the Make step *installs* Rakudo to a temp subdirectory.
Only the `make install` step actually copies the last pieces of Rakudo into their permanent location.
That is why I gave this as the final step:
	/usr/local/rakudo/bin/perl6 -e 'say "It works!”’
, because it eliminates the possibility of invoking `perl6` from the temporary location.

Did
	/usr/local/rakudo/bin/perl6 -e 'say "It works!”’
print “It works!” when you ran it?

I apologize for the delay in testing it as you requested.
FWIW, my Perl 6 code is meant to be illustrative of how clearly and concisely a solution can be coded; it will win no speed contest.
So, unless others are submitting Perl 6 code, fixing the Rakudo installation need not be a priority for tonight’s contest.

—
Thank you,
Bruce Gray (Util of PerlMonks)