[DFW.pm] What would you call a bot that does everything?

Tommy Butler dfwpm at internetalias.net
Tue Oct 29 21:03:18 PDT 2013

Totally <3 the names Patrick.

While waiting on feedback for the name I went ahead and named it
borgbot, because like the borg, it assimilated the other bots I'd
written.  If anyone has a very passionate name preference, send a pull
request to the git repo <https://github.com/dfwperl/dfwbot>.The result
is a bot that takes very easy-to-make plugins, which are defined in
borgbot.yml along with some other settings.  So you actually just have
to create a Moose role in module and list it in the config file.  That's
easy.

When borgbot runs it sucks in each listed role, and applies it to
itself.  All that is required of the plugin writer is to follow an
example format which defines the added commands that the plugin
provides, lists any aliases to which the core command(s) of the plugin
will also answer, and then one or more subroutines.  The subroutine
names in the plugin then become the names of new commands that borgbot
supports.

So if you write a plugin and it has a subroutine named
"text_john_cellphone", then in the IRC channel you would type "*borg
text_john_cellphone* Hi J don't forget to pick up milk!"

Thanks to code reuse, borgbot is still only 58 lines long.  The plugins
aren't much longer.

Here's what it looks like to run borgbot:

Here's what it looks like to talk to borgbot (join irc.perl.org#bot-test
if you want to talk to the borg)

This is how hard it is to write a plugin (see the 3 introductory ones up
on github for documented examples):

...And it's on github. <https://github.com/dfwperl/dfwbot>

--Tommy Butler