[DFW.pm] What would you call a bot that does everything?

Tommy Butler dfwpm at internetalias.net
Tue Oct 29 08:08:23 PDT 2013

Omnibot?  Rosie?  I'm talking about an IRC bot that accepts as many
plugins as you want to add.  /*What would you call it?*/

I'm creating Moose roles to add to the core mongerbot that I originally
wrote a few days ago, so I can effectively write "plugins" for the bot
instead of writing a bot for every task (thesaurus bot, dictionary bot,
spelling bot, wolfram bot...)  This is all actually WAY easier than it
sounds.

I'm doing this because it's fun, and because I want to use it as an
educational opportunity to:

 1. present how easy object oriented Perl is (and how much easier it
    makes your programming)
 2. introduce Moose and "postmodern" Perl (current best practices)
 3. discuss the use of roles vs inheritance in OOP

Don't worry.  I'm not going to force this onto anyone who doesn't want
it -- there are many out there who just do not like OOP _at all_, which
is your right as a red blooded Perl Monger.  All I'm doing is creating
example code that we can talk about and extend if you like.  Plugins,
maaaan!

But I have a fundamental problem here: a bot without a name is a sad
bot.  I'm not good at naming robots.

--Tommy Butler