[DFW.pm] Is Perl Like Shell Script?

A.J. Maurin coyo at darkdna.net
Fri Oct 25 22:13:46 PDT 2013

On 10/25/2013 8:36 PM, kevin wrote:
> On 10/25/2013 01:59 PM, A.J. Maurin wrote:
>>
>> I'm still working on that shell script. I have to use a linode with
>> putty, because there's no such thing as a good Windows shell. It's a bit
>> unwieldy.
> While not perl related, I'll say that the Cygwin (cygwin.org) bash
> shell generally does everything I need as I can use the same shell
> script on both Windows/Cygwin and Linux

True. I tend to avoid relying on Windows subsystems, preferring thin
abstraction layers to provide generic platform-specific stuff that's
expected, like widgets and whatever.

As for Cygwin, especially X/Cygwin, and MinGW, the cygwin1.dll looks
fascinating.

Right now I'm learning Pascal, with the intention of learning Object
Pascal (AKA Delphi), since I need something that compiles down to native
executable binaries that IS NOT C/C++.

I have a medically diagnosed phobia of C, especially C pointers. I've
had to be admitted to a hospital after throwing a null exception.

Never again!

However, I'm having fun making silly .exe binaries with Pascal. I made
name_game.exe and shared that over skype. he got a kick out of that.

Interestingly, most windows malware and trojans seem to be written in
delphi/object pascal. i wonder why.