[DFW.pm] Is Perl Like Shell Script?

A.J. Maurin coyo at darkdna.net
Sat Oct 19 17:37:54 PDT 2013

On 10/17/2013 8:53 PM, kevin wrote:
> On 10/17/2013 05:50 PM, A.J. Maurin wrote:
>> I know this is kindof a stupid question, but...
>>
>> Is Perl like a shell script?
>
> Umm, Perl is a little bit of everything. :) I'd say that it excels
> handling string data, although it can do a lot more. :)
>
> I do use it for "complex shell tasks" as well as 1-liners. I also use
> it for CGI stuff, general utilities, and even simple GUI programs.
> I've even used it for a ~35K line back-end database app. I really like
> it because it's so flexible. As usual, you should use the best tool
> for the job you're working on, but I find Perl does very well for many
> jobs.
>
> HTH,
> Kevin

Thank you! I can't wait to visit next Hump Day, which is four days away!
I'm counting the days!

I'm already making a list of the digital and analog circuits I want to
play with! I've been boning up on the manuals to the Arduino
microcontroller, and the RaspPI system-on-a-chip-set, so I'm pretty excited!

I've been watching videos of bedini wheels, zeusaphones and 555 flyback
transformers, which has me chomping at the bit.