[DFW.pm] Is Perl Like Shell Script?

kevin kbrannen at pwhome.com
Thu Oct 17 18:53:41 PDT 2013

On 10/17/2013 05:50 PM, A.J. Maurin wrote:
> I know this is kindof a stupid question, but Perl was introduced to me
> as being a good alternative to using complex BASH Shell scripts with
> embedded Awk and Sed scripts.
>
> Is Perl like a shell script?
>
> from http://perldoc.perl.org/perlintro.html#What-is-Perl? it seems that
> perl is somewhat like shell or php in some ways.

Umm, Perl is a little bit of everything. :) I'd say that it excels
handling string data, although it can do a lot more. :)

I do use it for "complex shell tasks" as well as 1-liners. I also use it
for CGI stuff, general utilities, and even simple GUI programs. I've
even used it for a ~35K line back-end database app. I really like it
because it's so flexible. As usual, you should use the best tool for the
job you're working on, but I find Perl does very well for many jobs.

HTH,
Kevin