[DFW.pm] Announcement: Our development server is online

Tommy Butler dfwpm at internetalias.net
Tue Feb 19 08:44:11 PST 2013

OK, so awesome news...

The Linux server donated by John Fields is online and ready to rock.
Next time we meet, we'll start building the awesome things on it that we
talked about and planned during our meeting last Wednesday, like the
daemonized SpamMeNot application with the embedded Catalyst controller
and DBIx::Class backend, and eventually the web application that will
power our own website.

These things will start out simple, and then they will grow, as we grow
together.  At our next meeting we'll be doing some database design for
our application in a hackathon format, so you're going to get some
exposure to *SQL* on Linux.  Please be ready to bring a laptop and a friend.

Our development server is at *http://perl.atrixnet.com* because it's
hosted out of my home lab for the time being, and I have lifetime free
dyndns for the atrixnet.com domain due to a generous gift by the dyndns
organization several years back in support of my long-time involvement
in Perl.
/
Please don't attempt to SSH into the server right now./  Your IP segment
will be automatically blacklisted after a few failed attempts, and it
only accepts SSH keys anyway (no passwords).  Please wait to receive
your SSH key at our next meeting or contact me privately to talk about
getting an account set up if you'd like to poke around before then.
Access will be subject to an approval process including having
personally met with John Fields and/or me as a primary requirement.

Remember that our project files are hosted on github
<https://github.com/tommybutler/dfwpm.git> and you can hack on them at
any time.  If you haven't gotten contributor permissions, just ask on
the list.

Now, the rest of this email you can skip if you don't like touchy-feely
stuff.  This is just an expression of my gratitude to you good folks and
doesn't have anything technologically pertinent to the announcements above.

My personal motto is to always /*"keep improving"*/, and while I would
never attempt to assert my own beliefs or feelings on others, I do know
that this core principle of open source and Perl in general will carry
us forward to good things in the future as we apply it in our monthly
gatherings.  We meet together, we learn, and we work in order to improve
ourselves and that is a lot of fun.

Thank you for being a DFW Perl monger.  Thank you for coming to our
meetings.  Thank you for following the mailing list.  Thank you for your
contributions, great and small, that help us /*"keep improving"*/.

--
Tommy Butler, John Fields