[DFW.pm] Wed Night Meeting!

John Fields wigthft at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 17:50:35 PST 2013

Just in time for Valentine's Day, your date will think that flush in your
cheeks is for them.  But we all know it is because you are sweet on Perl.
And it's sweet on you!

BAD PRACTICE HUNT!  We are going to put my Spammenot mailserver code on the
projector and play "spot the terrible use of Perl".  Everyone that finds
code that can be improved, or better yet should be avoided, and can tell us
why it's bad (or worse) gets a 32 ounce water bottle for their effort.
 Along with the warm feeling that comes along with punching my ego in the
metaphorical groin (I'm ready!)

Like these! http://sport.woot.com/offers/embark-32-ounce-water-bottle-2-pack

I am bringing a big box of them...

DAEMON FRAMEWORK? Next we are going to talk from a high level about how a
mail server actually works, that it is a glorified X, and what is the best
option to build the new server upon.  Currently it is a XINETD tied
process, but that has security issues and doesn't scale.  So we will be
looking, during the meeting, at selecting a pure perl (MPM || forking ||
daemon) from the CPAN that can scale from hobby to company use. OO/Moose
will definitely be a consideration/topic.

Expect to learn a lot - no matter where your skill sets are (we will be
visiting all over the place).

This is the 3rd Meeting in the Makerspace, and have filled the seats each
time.  Come early for best choice!

7PM at www.dallasmakerspace.org for travel info

Hope to see you punching me there!
John Fields