[DFW.pm] disk-read buffering?

Tommy Butler dfwpm at internetalias.net
Mon Dec 30 14:32:44 PST 2013

On 12/30/2013 04:23 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> I thought there was going to be a server reboot/reset/rebuild between
> runs.
It will.

> The closest thing to real-world is having a fully empty cache, but I
> can't see any way that can be accomplished during development on a
> shared server.
...and such should be the case, or as close to it as possible.

> Ideally while testing you should be benchmarking small portions of
> your code, so the cache will fill on the first run, and you have a
> good chance they'll remain populated for several subsequent runs,
> despite other users on the system hitting other files.
No need to worry too much about this.  The server won't be 'shared' at
the time it's running the formal competition code benchmarks.  It will
have been completely reverted to its state before the contest began.
Code will be cloned from github when it's time to run.  Before each run,
the server will be rolled back.

It's wholly contained in a virtual machine for this reason.  The
encasing hardware/host will be totally idle other than its task of
running the VM.  We needed the ability to "reset" the contest server to
a pristine state for each contestant, and having a virtual machine made
perfect sense.

As advised from the beginning: code that depends on caching will be
self-limited for the above reasons.

--Tommy Butler