[DFW.pm] in dallas for a short time

Tommy Butler dfwpm at internetalias.net
Wed Nov 7 13:23:21 PST 2012

Jerry,

I enjoy programming in Catalyst and DBIx::Class A LOT.  For the first
couple weeks of using DBIx::Class I couldn't tell whether or not I was
on some code-induced acid trip.  Turns out now I'd never program in Perl
against a database without it.  It's SQL "the right way".

I have to agree with everything that's been said by our members here.
There are certain skills you should be working on if you are looking to
make yourself attractive as a Perl developer.  My personal advice would
be to get Chromatic's Modern Perl book (it's free), and to start
learning Moose.  After you have become proficient in that, you should
(again this is my personal advice) start learing SQL, and by extension,
DBIx::Class.

Then ask yourself what you'd need to know if you wanted a job as a Perl
developer in today's world... how much of the "stack" would you
want/need to master?  Do you know how to run a Linux server?  Do you
understand PSGI?  Do you understand basic networking?  Do you know and
understand SQL and one or more of the popular emerging NoSQL
technologies?  Could you set up a database server?  Can you use modern
coding tools and revision control systems such as git?

Like in mathematics, to fully understand the equation, you must examine
both sides-- so let's apply this principle to your pursuit of skills and
experience:  Look at the job you want and observe what is required.
Then go back to the other side of the equation and look at yourself.
Figure out what's missing on your side, and set about working to obtain
the skills demanded (calculate the variables and balance the equation).

In practice, this would involve something like going to monster.com and
looking for jobs that match a search for "Perl developer".  Take a look
at those lists of skills requirements.  Look at lots of jobs.  I
guarantee it won't take more than a half hour before you've got a very
firm handle on what skills the industry is wanting today.

Once you know what you need to know, know where to go to learn it!
(Pssst.  This is a good place for help).  I'm starting to plan the next
several months of our group's meetings and topics.  Formal lectures,
presentations, and labs are in the works.  I invite you to submit your
request for coverage of any Perl technology that you want to put on your
resume.

--
Tommy Butler