[DFW.pm] Should I take a Perl job?

Nick Perez nick at nickandperla.net
Tue Sep 6 14:21:10 PDT 2011

As a new hire of Booking.com I can tell you as a matter of fact that we are looking for another 20 Perl developers before the end of the year (A goal we likely won't hit). The move to Amsterdam is indeed required. I've been here about 6 weeks now and it has been quite an... interesting experience-- The Dutch do things a little strangely-- but ultimately worth it. Since I've never lived anywhere but the US, the transition was perhaps a bit rougher, but with the help of friends and coworkers I've managed to smooth out the rough edges and I'm generally happier than I've been in a long time. The cheap, locally grown and lawfully obtainable pot doesn't hurt in that regard either, ha.

Joking aside, if you are able to relocate across the pond and would like to hack on a wide range of systems, I'd love to help bring anyone willing. Booking does help out financially with relocation and travel. Disclamer: I do get a referral bonus, but if you are uncomfortable with that, I can point you in the right direction where you can apply yourself.

Anyhow, my more general work experience with Perl has been one of frustration, dealing with older codebases where they've hand rolled the entire stack before the entire stack existed on CPAN. Even here I deal with that. It comes with the territory generally and is a big reason why demand in Perl is still big. That said, because of the big influx of Perl devs here evangelizing Modern Perl, the codebase is being influenced in the right directions, using more modern modules.

Just my two cents.

If anyone has any questions about living abroad or Booking.com or whatever, please feel free to email me off-list.

Nick Perez <nick at nickandperla.net>