[DFW.pm] Should I take a Perl job?

S Z zappepcs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:56:54 PDT 2011

I've heard that Google rumor too.There are many more perl jobs advertised
now than there were 2+ years ago. There are many companies who saw Perl as
'glue code' and now are entrenched in Perl based backend operations. They
either hire perl coders or someone to port everything to something else -
never a good choice to port everything to something else. Then there are
companies who are actively supporting the perl ecosphere and new
developments which are not being equaled (arguable) by other languages. In
some cases it feels like Perl is catching up but with such a low bar to
entry there are many things that could tip the scale. wxPerl, Moose(x),
Catalyst etc. are poised to make a large value adds in the marketplace. Perl
has a low bar to entry and adding MVC framework, easier GUI coding, and
generally more coherent best practices; I don't see it going anywhere
anytime soon.

It might not be what you want on your resume but I don't think it will hurt
your resume. I see companies now looking hard enough that they are willing
to accept remote staff to get perl resources. I'm happy with Perl on my
resume.