[DCPM] autobundle gotchas?

Simon Waters simon at technocool.net
Thu Nov 13 13:31:30 PST 2008

Simon Waters wrote:

> Since the test box is shiny and relatively up to date as far as Perl
> modules go I think this should be straight forward. But I'm open to
> being told of the dark side of autobundle before I try it.

Dark side is mostly it is verbose, slow, and doesn't order the list by
dependency status. I'm sure these are fixable, and may be with 5.10 and
CPANPLUS there is a better way....

There is also the insanity of the variation in building between modules
- more Gentoo than Debian goodness this CPAN stuff. At least two module
tests appeared to hang indefinitely (the control key is there for a
purpose).

We were only aware of one module that changed it's interface in a
non-backward compatible way (JSON), and we'd coded around that before
updating.

I probably should just turn all the modules into Debian packages, but
that requires me to learn stuff as well as working hard....