[DCPM] autobundle gotchas?

Simon Waters simon at technocool.net
Thu Nov 6 05:05:49 PST 2008

Looking to bring a server into line with a test server in terms of
modules and versions.

This server had a rather mangled version of CPAN, which is now upgraded
to something shiny and new, so it now says a lot of modules could be
upgraded.

Having tried autobundle on a few test package, between two test
machines, it seems to do mostly sensible things.

Since the test box is shiny and relatively up to date as far as Perl
modules go I think this should be straight forward. But I'm open to
being told of the dark side of autobundle before I try it.

Why isn't autobundle the "FAQ" answer for finding locally installed
modules instead of the apparently near useless "perldoc perllocal" or is
the frequently asked question the wrong question? perllocal is great for
saying what happened, but useless from an administration perspective
when you go from a few modules to hundred or thousands when you need to
automate these things.

Any tips on minmising the noise from questions appreciated as well...

  Simon still messing with pre-5.10 stuff.